Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Look who I taught to knit this past weekend..

This is my sister in law, Tamia. She was over this last weekend to celebrate my father in law 85th birthday. Her and her boyfriend want to quit smoking. He is going the pill route and she is going it alone. She was telling me how she was going to go buy a learn to knit kit so that she could keep her hands busying while she works on this quit smoking addiction. I told her that I have everything she needs to learn and I would show her myself.

She was all for that of course. So upstairs we went to the art studio, she picked out the yarn and I got her some number 9 wooden straight needles. I started her on the path to making a garter stitch scarf. This chick was a fast learning!! I was amazed. By far the easiest person I had the pleasure to teach to knit. I cast on for her the 15 stitches, then showed her how to do the knit stitch for a few stitches and off she went. By the time she left that evening she had a good 4-5 inches done on this scarf. I sent her home with a learn to knit book and three skeins of yarn from Lion Brand, the suede type. I know, I know, that damn Lion Brand stuff, but I have had it for a few years and this type is not so bad. I was not planning on using it for anything so now it has a good home.

I hope she sticks to the knitting thing, just think of the yarn stores we can browse together in the future! Now I will not be the "old lady that knits" at family functions anymore. I will have a partner in crime. She says that she does not like wool, it makes her itch, but I think we can convert her in time. Once she finds out all the different wool varieties out there she will be impressed. She wants to make a lap blanket. Something in cotton. Good choice I think. I showed her my log cabin blanket that is still in the works and the circular needle used to make same and she was perplexed about that one. I told her when the scarf is done then I can show about this circular needle thing. It was fun to see her and the rest of the family confused about all this knitting stuff.

Keep on knitting!

1 comment:

Ohjeeze said...

So, you brought your SIL to "The Dark Side"?